St Saviour’s Church has been a landmark in the area since the original mission church was built in 1886, followed by the current red-brick church which was completed and consecrated in 1894. Designed as a place of worship and community support, the church has long been a focal point for the distribution of tea, soup and clothing to the people on low incomes in the area. This tradition continues nowadays with the The Upper Room, a charity which provides meals, help with finding work and driving courses for the disadvantaged.
In the 1960s the church halls were used by the Ballet Rambert for rehearsals, an artistic tradition which endures today, for example with music recitals which take advantage of the fantastic acoustics in the church itself, within our red-brick walls.
Today both the church and the Lower Hall are available to rent for classes, birthday parties, workshops or meetings. With step-free access, an accessible toilet, kitchen facilities and excellent acoustics in the main church, it is an ideal venue for everyone to use. There is space to host over 100 people (seated) in the church and up to 80 (standing) in the hall.